• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Bleeding brick

Florin Nutu

Did this brick wall at a condo complex on Monday. Used NMD80 and applied a bajillion times till all the white stuff was gone. Wall looked awesome. Got a call yesterday that it does not look good anymore. I went there today and there is white powdery stuff coming out of the brick. You can even rub it off with a brush or finger.

Whats going on here?

Reapply nmd80 or do I try something else?

Will it keep bleeding out?

Dont get much brick around here so am kinda lost.

the post and close up pick is the powder that is on now.

Attachments

• BRICK BEFORE.jpeg
    BRICK BEFORE.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 38
  • BRICK AFTER.jpeg
    BRICK AFTER.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 31
  • BRICK 3 DAYS LATER CLOSE.jpeg
    BRICK 3 DAYS LATER CLOSE.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 28
  • BRICK 3 DAYS LATER POST.jpeg
    BRICK 3 DAYS LATER POST.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 27

RogerGothorp

A couple of questions first, does the wall hold back a lot dirt and how high is the dirt on the back side of the wall? How long has the brick been put up?

Roger Gothorp
Carolina ProWash

James Foley

Florin, You need to read up on Masonry problems and fixes . There are a few way's go an approaches. Stuff leeching out means a couple of things. Not just efflorescence

Go to a few sites that sell product and read up on the type of problem you have. You can send them your photo's too .

cleanhoods

Did this brick wall at a condo complex on Monday. Used NMD80 and applied a bajillion times till all the white stuff was gone. Wall looked awesome. Got a call yesterday that it does not look good anymore. I went there today and there is white powdery stuff coming out of the brick. You can even rub it off with a brush or finger.

Whats going on here?

Reapply nmd80 or do I try something else?

Will it keep bleeding out?

Dont get much brick around here so am kinda lost.

the post and close up pick is the powder that is on now.
Florin i think thats calcium coming out and i think you would have to clean off then seal not 100% sure but can ask a buddy that would know if you like.
Marko

Florin Nutu

A couple of questions first, does the wall hold back a lot dirt and how high is the dirt on the back side of the wall? How long has the brick been put up?

Roger Gothorp
Carolina ProWash

On the backside the dirt is up to just under the cement cap. I am also getting it on the posts as well which have no dirt.

It was built in 2003. While I was doing the cleaning a neighbor stopped to talk and said the wall turned white within 6 months of being built.

cmturner

Agreeing with Marko, I have always been told that if you don't seal the brick then even if you clean it it can come back, not always but sometimes.

Roger Gothorp

On the wall...if the dirt is piled up in back, there is always going to be the potential for moisture to travel through and bring the salts and minerals out the front.

What would you expect to happen if you seal the front of that brick at this stage of the game?

What's on top of that column structure? Is there a crack? Moisture has gotten inside again somehow to cause that.

Florin Nutu

On the wall...if the dirt is piled up in back, there is always going to be the potential for moisture to travel through and bring the salts and minerals out the front.

What would you expect to happen if you seal the front of that brick at this stage of the game?

What's on top of that column structure? Is there a crack? Moisture has gotten inside again somehow to cause that.

Thanks for the response Celeste. Also thank you very much for taking my call about this project a couple weeks ago Roger.

I am confused about your sealing question.... Are you suggesting that I might need to seal it?

Roger Gothorp

LOL, no I wasn't suggesting that - someone else did. What I was asking - from a logical standpoint, was.....if the moisture travels from the DIRT side of the brick out the front......what do you suppose the outcome is going to be if you just slap some sealer it? My guess is ugly white BEHIND the sealer....oops!

With that said, there are remedies (sealers & fortifiers) that will penetrate far enough into the brick that it won't make it to the visible exterior. Realistically, sealing should have happened a long time ago - like at construction. Do they experience this regularly or have you had an exceptionally wet several months like we have here? I'd be willing to bet that during drier seasons, it's not as obvious a problem.

cleanhoods

Florin the white is calcium and/or salt and the bleeding happening is from not sealing the brick, clean the brick and seal it.
They make a sealer/cleaner for that.
Look around like at old churches you will see white there and the building is not leaking "moisture" in the church or at the top eather ,thats probably calcium.
Now when new brick does that and the problem may be a moisture problem(like Carolina said) so thats salt.
The salt content may be from the brick AND/OR the soil on the barrier wall.
For the collums clean and seal,but the barrier wall now you would have to dig the dirt up from the back of the wall and clean the brick and use a sealer behind and in front.
But if you would like i can ask a buddy that has the know how on this type of work.
Or the customers just have to deal with it until the salt content exhausts itself which could take years.
Marko

Last edited: