PDA

View Full Version : Four Story Building-No Lift

cmturner
03-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Alright going to try and figure out how to wash this section of a hospital. I already do work for this hospital and I know eventually they are going to want this part cleaned. I actually would like to approach them about cleaning it and sell it like that. My problem comes with the building being 4 stories, not a big deal right, well there is a single story section that covers this entire side of the building so there is no way that I could use a lift of bucket truck or anything like that. Let me know if you all have any ideas. I am going for the window account also but i have a 45ft waterfed pole so it will be no problem for that.

DJ Carroll
03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Just get a bigger lift to boom out over the first story

CWheeler
03-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Just get a bigger lift to boom out over the first story

Thats what i was thinking also, just be sure not to over extend it!

Rob Huffman
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Curtis,
Your easier choice would be do as DJ said and get a bigger lift and go over that first story section. I have experienced some of the same scenarios and even had facilities put scaffolding up on the roof of the bump out section. My one suggestion is to be careful with the windows...u will be amazed at how many will leak. Make this known to them (shouldnt really be a problem if you already do work for them).

cmturner
03-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Well thats what I thought of originally too but the first floor comes out on the right side of the building also. Another words the entire backside would have to be reached from the left hand side of the photo and I don't thank they make a lift that big. My two ideas so far are to drop off the side of the building or try and modify my waterfed pole to shoot a strong housewash mix up on the walls.

Rob Huffman
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Curtis,
Give me a call if you want...

Doug Tripp
03-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Why not walk on the first story roof to wash the 3 stories above it ?

Ken Fenner
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Why not walk on the first story roof to wash the 3 stories above it ?

Sometimes the easiest answer is the solution.

Would that work Curtis?

cmturner
03-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I think it is probably too tall, not sure I could shoot that high. Maybe using a yellow noodle to get a little more height out of it. My machine is only a 4 gallon a minute machine. What do you guys think, should I beable to reach that high?

Rob Huffman
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Whats the PSI ?

cmturner
03-10-2009, 09:23 PM
the machine is 3800 psi

Rob Huffman
03-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Do you have a xjet? you may be able to reach it with that

DJ Carroll
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
79" lance with a 0030 and a downstreamer will hit that all day long :clap::clap:

Doug Tripp
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I was thinking Bandit, etc., but DJ is right

DJ Carroll
03-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I was able to reach the peaks of this building EASILY . . .VERY EASILY last year . . .

Doug Dahlke
03-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I have done three story buildings from the ground with an x-jet. If you can get on the first story roof I think you can reach three up.

James Foley
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
You can set up a 12 foot rolling scaffold and shoot from the top with an XJet or I set up my Little Giant step ladders 12 and 17 ft'ers and shoot from the top with an XJ and move along.

cmturner
03-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Good points and ideas, I think maybe I was just letting the size of the building as a whole intimidate me some. Thanks

Geoff Adams
03-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Here's a pic of a 3 story hotel with 4 story gable ends I could hit the peak and actually spray over the roof with a 79" lance, 0040 tip, 8gpm machine--only difference-- regular housewash mix DS.

Yesterday, i set my 79" lance down and went back to the truck, (around the corner of the building, for like five minutes, and somebody stole it when I got back.

It just so happened that I brought the banana pole, to hit the same height peaks--only because I knew this location is REALLY windy, and I wanted the tip closer. Which only worked when the wind died.

I had the pole like 15-20 ft from the top and the chems would get out about 2 ft from the pole and make a hard right. But with no wind I could have hit a chimney on TOP of that roof.

Your 4 gal should be able to muster up 3 stories with no peaks, standing on the other roof easy with the similar set-up. like DJ said.

thats my experience

Adrian Carrier
03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
After you get all the "reach" issues figured out, which I am sure you will.
Keep in mind that you should check your company insurance binder or agent to be sure you are covered for cleanings higher than 3 stories.

This has been a constant oversight that I have seen snag contractors in the end. Myself included.

Geoff Adams
03-21-2009, 03:06 PM
good point about the insurance, but I wonder wouldnt you still "fall" under the same policy if your on the ground or first story? Or does that even make a difference?

cmturner
03-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah thats a good question, I will have to call about that. I would hope that since we would be cleaning from the first floor we should still be covered. Thanks guys for the input, I am working on getting them to it now. They are use to the window cleaners dropping off of the roof to do the windows so they were thinking the same thing was going to have to be done here. I am working on them for the windows also, I have a 45' waterfed pole for those so it will be a piece of cake.

Doug Rucker
01-22-2012, 07:45 AM
HOw did this work out Curtis????????

cmturner
02-14-2012, 03:36 AM
I never did get them sold on it. Good reminder though, I think I will revisit this. Pretty funny looking back at these older threads now too. Fast forward 3 years to now and I wouldn't blink an eye with this building, better equipment and a lot more experience makes a big difference.

Chris Apple
06-22-2012, 12:23 AM
That's true